Monday, April 27, 2009

OKC Half Marathon

We ventured up to OKC this past weekend for the Memorial Marathon.
I have enjoyed getting back into running lately (especially with Bella's new jogging stroller). It reminds me of those days way back when I used to 'really' run.
I hadn't really trained all that much for this race, but I knew I would be able to complete it.

My goal was to run under 2 hours... Here is a synopsis of the race:

It was 75 degrees and 93% humidity at 6:30 in the morning when the race started. I went out too fast (as always)... felt really good for the first 4 miles and then hit a wall. Besides already drenched in sweat because of the weather, my hamstrings were really tight (especially my left one). Miles 4-9 were hard for me. The course was actually hillyer than I ever thought possible and then the wind kicked up... It seemed as though every up hill was against the wind!
During these few miles I kept thinking to myself... I actually paid money to do this to myself?!?! Haha... I could feel the blisters on my toes in my shoes, my legs hurt, my knees hurt and I thought to my self... How did I ever run double this in a full marathon?
Anyway, there is nothing like seeing the finish line... and this finish line looked oh so sweet to me! I usually am able to kick it into high gear at the end of a race... but my high gear was only really at a medium crossing the finish line.
I came in a 1:59:16.
Well, I accomplished my goal so that made me happy.
My groin and hamstrings really tightened up after I crossed the finish line and it was hard to walk, bend over and put on my clothes. Ben kept saying... this is ridiculous, this is the last time you're doing this! Which would probably be smart. BUT, even though it was painful and my calfs, hamstrings and quads are super sore this morning... I will do it again!

Here are some pics from race day:




This is just after I crossed the finish line. Bella clapping for her Mama.


Emily, Monica, Faye and Me.


Bella wearing my medal (it kept her entertained for a good 30 minutes)


Bellie showing off her pointing skills.

2 comments:

LeroyLime said...

GOoooo Nat, that's AWESOME!!! :) I'm so proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you. Working hard and representing all the mama's in Altus!!! Thanks for our motivation and inspiration!! You truly are amazing!