Saturday, April 26, 2008

Only in Southern Oklahoma

This past weekend we went to the Mangum Rattlesnake Durby!
Oh boy! This truly does only happen in Southern Oklahoma!!!!
The Durby started 43 years ago to help take care of the number of rattlesnakes in the area. In Oklahoma rattlesnakes may be taken from March 1 - June 30 by any legal means (whatever that means!!!)
Anyway, it was actually really cool (well some parts at least). Ben, who is NOT a snake person... really enjoyed seeing how the handlers demonstrated how to avoid getting struck by a rattle snake. And since we like going hiking in the Wichita Mountains... who knows when it will come in handy!
Those are all Rattlesnakes!

This was sorta gross... actually REALLY gross! We got to see a rattlesnake getting its head chopped off, gutted, skinned and ready to cook!!!! EEW GROSS! I thought I would be brave enough to try the fried snake meat, but I think being pregnant... my stomach just couldn't take it! Our friends tried the snake meat and said it tasted like chicken!!!

I look huge in these pics... Maybe it was the Indian taco, funnel cake, caramel apple, fried peaches, and kettle corn!!! Oh boy! Haha... I didn't eat them all by myself... we shared with the friends we went with!


3 comments:

CE said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe y'all went to that! As southern as I am I have never been brave enough.
WOW! Totally impressed...hehehe.
Lookin' good mama!

Michelle Fry said...

What is it with the South and rattlesnake events?! My friend in Alabama just went to a rattlesnake race. Those things freak me out!

LeroyLime said...

That is totally GROSS!!! I am deathly afraid of snakes, ahhhhh...now I'm going to have snake dreams! (thanks)

and you do NOT look HUGE...you just look like you've graduated to carrying around a beach ball vs. a basketball! ;)